Tjody (Pronounced "Cho-dee") DeVaal
"18 years as a design professional in the graphic arts has given me experience in package design, identity branding, advertising and print. I'd be a great asset to a company that would work with me to combine career and family.
My strengths are humor, creativity and innovative ideas. My continuing fascination with contemporary art and culture keeps my
illustration current and fresh."
Senior Graphic Illustrator, Sunflower Markets, LLC 2007-2008
- Sunflower Market, an innovative natural and organic grocery banner owned by SUPERVALU INC, brought me on board in early 2007 to establish a new visual brand identity for the store. I was part of a creative marketing team and anchored all graphic and visual concepts and production.
As Senior Creative at Sunflower I :
- Created and illustrated the new Sunflower look for all marketing materials, collateral, special events and interior store décor. This included the promotion and Grand Opening of a new Sunflower Market store that opened in June 2007.
- Designed several private labels for Sunflower Market to reflect our unique look at the retail level. The coffee line I designed was launched at all five stores and immediately and significantly increased coffee sales.
- Redesigned the look and presentation of Sunflower's monthly Tasting Report while also creating a new process for illustrating grocery items without using standard photography. Illustration and layout of each eight-page ad was done under tight deadline once a month. This ad vehicle consistantly spiked sales of featured items between 60-75% in the ten days following release, and 20-30% in subsequent weeks.
- Designed a new icon system to help customers understand product attributes, and a new signage program utilized at store level to inform customers about our products.
Principal, DeVaal Design, Minneapolis, Minnesota 1996-2007
- DeVaal Design, located in south Minneapolis, offered comprehensive design, including line design, identity branding, private label, point-of-purchase and collateral materials. Experienced in offset and flexographic printing as well as registered film.
As Sole Designer I did the following:
- Directed multiple projects concurrently from sales managers in five states for a regional bottling company headquartered in Minneapolis.
- Watched for consumer trends and advised clients of same.
- Headed the design switch from corrugated boxes to registered film packaging. This involved redesigning all existing 2-color private label case artwork to 6-color shrinkwrap film.
- Acted as design liaison for compliance with new FDA guidelines.
- Created the Nature's Crystal identity, a major private label brand for Premium Waters, Inc.
- Designed over 300 private water labels, following established corporate guidelines, and over 500 original designs to complement existing store brands.
- Copywriter, illustrator and photography buyer, as well as designer and design project manager for Castalia, Inc., a marketing company representing several business and retail complexes in the Twin Cities area.
- Proposed and taught "Illustration for Non-Illustrators" classes at the Learning Annex.
- Design consultant, Collectors Edition Dolls, Mattel Corporation, El Segunda, CA (2001)
Packaging Designer, Hillis Mackey & Co, Minneapolis, Minnesota 1994-1995
- Hillis-Mackey did primarily retail food packaging, including label design, identity branding, and new product packaging. Clients included General Mills, Land 'O Lakes, Coca Cola, Kemps Foods, and 3M.
As well as designing, I was called upon to do illustration
work and brainstorm for new business presentations.
Packaging Designer, Pedersen-Gesk, Minneapolis, Minnesota 1991-1993
- Pedersen-Gesk, an award winning mid-sized corporate design firm, excelled at retail consumer packaging, identity branding, and new product development.
Two projects I designed, a dairy company redesign and a new biscotti product, were honored with both national and international awards. On both these projects I was illustrator as well as designer.
On the biscotti project I also created an original structure for the container.
While at Pedersen & Gesk I chaired the Minnesota chapter A.I.G.A. Illustration Show.
Junior Graphic Designer, McCool & Co., Minneapolis, Minnesota 1988 to 1991
- McCool & Company, a corporate communications firm, was a subsidiary of Fallon McElligott Advertising. I designed mostly collateral materials, from concept to finished printed piece. My work was featured in both PRINT magazine and Communication Arts Design Annuals. While at McCool, I co-chaired (with Karl Schweikart) the Minnesota chapter A.I.G.A. Show of Graphic Design Excellence.
Graphic Design Intern, Star Tribune, Minneapolis, Minnesota 1987 to 1988
- The Promotions Department is an internal division of the Minneapolis Star Tribune Newspaper. Interning with Lynn Phelps, my duties included concept, design, layout and production supervision of 4-color tabloids and special seasonal inserts. I did all original cover artwork for the tabloids and my illustrations were routinely used in the Star Tribune weekly Travel Section.
Production Coordinator, Northwest Teleproductions, Freelance 1986-87
- Northwest Teleproductions, a film and video production company in Bloomington, MN, specialized in broadcast and radio work. Position included auditioning and hiring actors for both TV and radio spots, scouting locations, and coordinating and trouble-shooting during studio shoots. I assisted producer and director to coordinate sets, costumes and props. (This task was especially critical for the U.S. Armed Forces television contract, which made rank and uniform accuracy critical.)
Minneapolis College of Art & Design
Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in Visual Communication/Graphic Design 1984-1988